Thursday, September 24, 2009

On the Right Track

I have been with the Marriott for about seven weeks now and starting to feel apart of the team. I am meeting new people everyday and still constitenly learning new things. I feel more comfortable talking with guests and providing them with information. The hardest part about my job is being able to multi-task by remembering all that I have learned and being able to apply that quickly to make sure guests are satisfied and happy. Another challenge is when you do all that you can and they are still unhappy. When you work in the hotel and hospitality industry you realize the challenges of trying to please everyone, but obviously not everyone is exactly the same. We have to be able to read people and understand what they want to help get them what they need. My managers, supervisors and co-workers all help me by giving me helpful hints to make changes and or adjustments to make my job easier. Two things that made me feel like I was heading in a positive direction was when I got a 10 on my GSS review. GSS means Guest Service Survey and these surveys go out to a selected group of Marriott rewards members. The members then grade Marriott and us as individual Guest Service Representatives to see how there experiences were during there stay. 10 is the highest number to get to say that they really enjoyed there experience with myself and the Marriott hotel. During our stand up meeting I was recognized and congratulated that this was my first review and that it was the best grade. I was enlightened and so happy that I am on the right track. I also had one of the top Sales Manager's of the Wardman Park Marriott come up to me and say that a guest personally came up to him and was raving about me on what a wonderful employee I was and how much I helped him out throughout his stay. I could not believe that a guest would go out of his way to recognize me in such a way. Hearing that makes me work just as harder to give more guests of Marriott the same experience during there stay. You can't please everyone in the hospitality industry, but you sure can try to make a difference to as many as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment